Place Vendome is located near the rue de la Paix
and is one of the most beautiful squares of the world. It
testifies to the splendour of the French classic art under
the reigns of Louis XIV and Louis XV. Its plan was drawn
by Jules H.Mansart, the architect of Versailles. It was
built between 1685 and 1700 on the site of the hotel of
the duke of Vendôme, a son of king Henri IV, between
a convent which sealed off the future rue de la Paix until
1804 and the Tuileries Garden.
Today, the role of the place has been changed: it does not shelter anymore than ten private individuals. Now it's occupied by offices and shops of luxury. The largest companies, houses of luxury and billionaires had for a long time spent a lot of money to be able to be located here.The place is now also surrounded by jewellers, prestigious banks and the emblems of French elegance still cluster around the Austerlitz column that Napoleon erected. Labels of luxury such as Chaumet, Boucheron, Van Cleef & Arpels, Cartier...
The Place Vendôme was originally named the Square Of Conquests; it then was called the Place Louis-le-Grand, and it became the Place des Piques during the Revolution. Its current name comes from the Hôtel Vendôme, torn down in order ot build the square. The emperor Napoleon modified the district of the square and shaped it to the form it is today. He decided to raise in the centre of the square a column, like the Trajane column in Rome. Under the orders of Vivant Denon, 1200 guns taken from enemy during the battle of Austerlitz were molten. The bronze plank which celebrates the great victories of NapoleonÎs army, since the camp of Boulogne until Austerlitz, rises in spiral around a stone reinforcement. A statue of Napoleon dressed as a Roman sculpted by A.D Chaudet was placed in top.
The Column was torn down in 1871, during the Commune revolution. It was later restored and a replica of the original statue of Napoleon was replaced at the top.